Saturday, August 30, 2008

Get the Hell Out of the Way of the Volcano

It seems that all everyone, myself included, is talking about the fast couple days is Sarah Palin. I'd be kind of embarrassed to have the first female vice president be so anti-woman. She's already pissing me off.

Anyway, being back in Los Angeles means driving again (which also means paying for gas- ick). My favorite music to drive to is pretty much without a doubt the Blow. Paper Television and Poor Aim: Love Songs are my jams... just the greatest electropop perfect for cruising. I could go on & on about my love for the Blow, but I'll refrain. Here is my favorite interview with Khaela, conducted by Miranda July. I also love the deli aisle picture I posted a little while ago.

I'm not going to bother posting any Blow albums because I think K will have 'em down shortly, but I've got them upped, so send me your email address if you want them.

Before the Blow, Khaela performed as Get the Hell Out of the Way of the Volcano and sometimes under her own name (Khaela Maricich). The Blow originally started out as another solo project, but then Jona (aka YACHT) joined on. Jona left, and Khaela's going solo again, still as the Blow.



As Khaela Maricich & Get the Hell Out of the Way of the Volcano, Khaela contributed to a few compilations and released an album called Look for It in the Sky It Will Always Be There on KNW-YR-OWN. It was recorded by Phil Elvrum in Olympia in 1998 and originally released on cassette under the name Khaela Maricich. I think it was first released on CD in 2001 under Get the Hell Out of the Way of the Volcano rather than her own name. KNW-YR-OWN just reissued it, this time under Khaela Maricich.



This is definitely more similar to her early Blow releases... Khaela & her ukulele rather than Jona's beats. It starts off with "Girl in the Sky," which was originally on one of the Yoyo live compilations performed by Khaela & Jenn Kliese. Back this with "Our Bad Sex" as the second track for an awesome one-two punch. "Lisa Cohen" is one of my favorite birthday-themed songs ("Girl I heard that it's your birthday and that you're turning 21"). It's really just kind of a love song. "V-Day 1998" also appears on Poor Aim: Love Songs with beats from Jona (a favorite on both albums for me). Throughout the album there are messages friends left on her answering machine. Overall, it's a lot of the same great pop songs as Khaela writes as the Blow but with more minimal backing.

After residing in Washington for a while, Khaela moved to Portland to be an artist in residence for the Portland Institute for Contemporary Art. I saw her a couple times in the past year... I wish I could put up a picture of the sweet screen-printed poster I got at the MFA when I saw her with Kim & Milli, but it's at school along with most of my shit... one more week.

Get the Hell Out of the Way of the Volcano- Look for It in the Sky It Will Always Be There
Get it from KNW-YR-OWN

1 comment:

Jon Manning said...

Get the Hell Out of the Way of the Volcano was so good. The Microphones also had a song named that, which was released on a compilation. Not sure which came first, I think the band did though.

The Blow album "Everyday Examples of Humans Facing Straight into the Blow" was also originally released under the GHOWV name. Just as good as "Look For It in the Sky".