Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Screeching Weasel

I think I've encountered a more concentration population of bros than perhaps ever before. This seems odd as I'm in the UK, but there are a ton of Americans in my program, especially in my dorm. There are also way more guys than girls- not sure of the percentages, but on my little hall of five rooms or so, I'm the only girl. I generally try to avoid bros in high doses, but sometimes it seems unavoidable. One bad incident was this past Friday night with a particularly drunk & sexist dude. I'm not going to go into the details (especially to spare anyone I've talked to lately because I've probably ranted about it), but I was certainly not amused. I've more or less cut myself off socially from my program which is probably not a good thing, but whatever. An English friend of mine is going to be in town for a couple days this week, and I'm going to Dublin this weekend. I'll have some visitors the following weekend too. (Not everyone here actually sucks.)

Anyway, getting to the point, I generally hate when asshole guys make sexist and/or homophobic comments. They can't really get away with joking about shit either. I find Screeching Weasel to fall outside of this category... they can use sarcasm to pull shit off without being one of the other highly irritating pop punk acts I listened to in high school (maybe not in your opinion, but in mine). Plus they're not asshole bros.



I started listening to Screeching Weasel when I was "really into" pop punk in middle school, but most of the bands I listened to were painfully bad. When I was too cool for that shit in high school, I took a break from the Weasel, but it's been back in my regular rotation for some time now.

Evidence: a gchat from several months ago with Evan:
Evan: I WANNA TELL YOU WHAT'S ON MY MIND
AND I WANNA BILL YOU FOR WASTED TIME
i'm addicted to the weasel right now
me: so good
I need to burn the archived CDs that I don't have
Evan: for sure
i'm getting super hard into a lot of early hardcore, punk, and pop-punk records lately for some reason
it's like, descendents? check. black flag? cheeeeeeeeck. misfits? quite check. screeching weasel? get at me.

Also, I love all the Boston punks with Weasel stuff sewn onto their hoodies.

Pervo Devo was one of their earliest 7"s and has their usual sarcasm. While a lot of overly sarcastic pop punk is just stupid, SW manages to bring that along with some very clever comments. The first song is "I Wanna Be a Homosexual," which is pretty self-explanatory. The second, "She's Giving Me the Creeps," talks about a girl whose "hippie bullshit" is giving him the creeps... "She says her armpits are harry cause it's natural, so why does she shave her head?"



It was their second 7" after Punkhouse (which Milli, if you're reading this, was going to be on your tape before that ate shit & died). It came out with Ben Weasel's sex-themed zine and was released by a label (Shred of Dignity) which later became Outpunk.

So this may seem a lot different than a lot of the stuff I normally post (i.e. queer people or women talking about related issues). I embrace Screeching Weasel's humor though. You're welcome to disagree or dislike them just because a lot of people think they're annoying. Feel free to comment with thoughts in general, if this pisses you off, whatever. (This goes for in general too; this doesn't have to be a one-way conversation. You can set it up so it'll email you back when there's more comments too.)

Other than that, ordered the new Off With Their Heads from No Idea; some Pocahaunted cassette went for over $100 on ebay (kind of like the Vivian Girls LP)-- I don't get people; excited to see Loser Life next weekend with a bunch of other bands. Also, Meg, KJ, & I are going to start booking shows when we get back in the fall- more details to come. And hooray for procrastination on my test tomorrow. Oh yeah, and I got myspace again because I'm lame and sometimes need to professionally stalk/comment outside of the RH myspace. Hunt me down.
And sorry if you don't actually know me, and you've increasingly had to read my rants or just scroll more to avoid them.

Screeching Weasel- Pervo Devo

Loser Life flier:


And last Conversions show!

No comments: