Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Giggles in the Dark

Once finals were over, it was time to pack. Packing meant turning up my speakers and blasting Giggles in the Dark, which I finally found online since my preamp has been broken for a couple months now.

Giggles in the Dark, the remixes of Lesbians on Ecstasy's first self-titled album, was probably the second record I ever got (after Cut). My older sister has always mocked me for listening to "lesbian" music, whatever that may mean. The only time this has come in useful was when she gave me this record for Christmas a few years ago.



The beautiful lavender vinyl was released by Alien8 in September 2005. After I didn't bring my records to school with me freshman year, I was really excited when one of the first things I saw in the Record Hospital lounge was this CD in the middle of the table. When doing air for the queercore orgy last year (my first solo air), we tried desperately to find this, but it seems to have disappeared from the depth of the RH library... I'll have to email Alien8 some time to get another copy.



With remixes from icons like Le Tigre and Jody Bleyle, this album gives some fun spins, often combining older songs (like Fifth Column's "All Women Are Bitches") with Lezzies on X ones. I've always been more into this than the regular version of their self-titled album (but I did also hear it first).

Lesbians on Ecstasy's most recent album, We Know You Know, was released last spring. Unfortunately, the Montreal-based group doesn't seem to have any shows coming up soon.

Lesbians on Ecstasy- Giggles in the Dark
Buy it from Alien8

No comments: