Sunday, July 19, 2009

Pens/Male Bonding + pixxx

Hung out with Screaming Females last night for their big show at House of Blues with the Dead Weather. It was totally crazy to see them play in such a big place- capacity is supposedly 2400. Anyway, it was sweet, and they get free beer, so now I'm stocked up. The girl in Discount sings for the Dead Weather, and she's a total fucking rock star/diva (not in a good way). That was whack. I wish I could see the Screamales/Shell Shag West Coast tour. Over in Cambridge though getting psyched for Punch/Ampere/Trifle Tower/Dark Forces/L'Antietam on Thursday night and then most likely Harvey Milk on Saturday night. In the future, I will almost for sure be headed down to Richmond for Best Friends Day.

Back to the task at hand... As promised another PVI release. I started to write this at various points over the past month or so, so it's probably kind of all over the place.


Shitty picture of the album art... had another one but my camera broke/didn't back up my old hard drive recently at all. If you want to buy me a new one, get in touch. That would be cool.

Pens play sorta noisy pop... maybe if Skinned Teen (ok maybe I'm just saying this cause they're both English) were really hip 15 years later, slowed down a little bit, and became fuzzier and unintelligible. They might be the hippest of the bunch... doing a big West Coast tour with Graffiti Island and Crocodiles, capping it off with a San Diego show with Wavves & No Age. They're playing at Spaceland in LA, which Matt & I used to think was so cool in high school. It was 21+, and we would always say we were gonna go there for our 21st birthdays. Instead some of us have sisters & friends who hire cross-dressing singing telegrams to sing Beyonce and "Happy Birthday." Anyway, Pens definitely give my favorite side of the split.

They play sorta noisy pop... maybe if Skinned Teen (ok maybe I'm just saying this cause they're both English) were really hip 15 years later, slowed down a little bit, and became fuzzier and unintelligible. Basically I've been listening to a fair amount of old Slampt stuff, and I feel like this is about the closest thing to a lot of that stuff that's around today.

Male Bonding are more like Abe Vigoda or something. Not my thing as much, but still a good time.

I pretty much haven't listened to anything else other than the PS Eliot LP this week. Sorry for the mediocre write-up. I guess you're used to it by now though.

Pens/Male Bonding split

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here are a few pictures from last weekend...

Hop Along

PS Eliot 3

Little Lungs pt. 2, 3

No comments: