Thursday, May 15, 2008

Boy Poison

Clearly, I have a bunch of people I'm obsessed with.... Kaia Wilson, Amelia Fletcher, Rose Melberg, etc. etc. The one who precedes all of them though is Kathleen Hanna.

I was a bit young to be into Bikini Kill when they were around, but I was lucky enough to catch Le Tigre live. Before either of these bands though, Kathleen was in Viva Knievel. It was her second band (after Amy Carter) and would play shows at her Reko Muse gallery in Olympia.

Viva Knievel toured the country once and released one EP, Boy Poison, in 1990 before breaking up.



Clearly this band is historically important as a sort of predecessor to riot grrrl- you could say a lot about this. Allison Wolfe (of Bratmobile) saw them play, and it helped inspire her to start her own band- blah blah blah.

I was listening a lot to it last week when writing my riot grrrl paper for WGS. Aside from "Boy Poison" being a very riot-grrrl-esque motto or whatever, it's also just an incredibly awesome song. It starts off with Kathleen singing in her kind of high soft voice thing, and then just comes in with this killer deep bass line, and she just rips shit up. One of the many reasons why I love her. I also love how fucking rough she looks on the cover of this.

Viva Knievel- Boy Poison

No comments: